Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Super Food Stuffed Peppers

My first shared adventure is in cooking.  I'll be honest, I am decent in the kitchen, but not so great online...hence I started off easy.
                                                                                            (Doesn't look too shabby)



Ingredients
4 bell peppers
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 egg
1 small yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup parm cheese
Fresh parsley
Red wine
Panko bread crumbs
***Extra healthy add on 1 cup Chia seeds


1. Put the oven on broil
Cut tops of the bell peppers off and clean out the inside, leaving just the shell.  Coat them with a little veggie oil and put them on a pan in the oven under the broiler for about 10 minutes.  When peppers have loose looking skin take them out and turn oven down to 350.

2. While the peppers are broiling cook the quinoa (follow instructions on box).

3. Now it's chopping time.  Finely chop the onion, garlic, parsley.

4. In a pan, cook the ground turkey.  Once it's fully cooked remove it from the heat and mix in the egg.  Add in the tomato sauce, red wine,  cooked quinoa, onions, garlic, parsley and parm cheese (now is also the time to add the chia seeds), you may also add some water to the mix if you want to thin it.  Stir it all together and stuff the peppers.

5. Tightly pack the peppers in a glass cooking container with a small amount of water at the bottom, top with the panko bread crumbs and bake for 35 minutes.

Verdict... I served this to my mom (I know she is my mom and she has to say she loves my hard work) and we both agreed this dish was a success.  The parm was just salty enough to really develop the flavors.  I am currently in love with quinoa, it added a great texture to the dish.  Change for next time I would add some more veggies, maybe some squash or zucchini.  I love hidden vegetables.

2 comments:

  1. What are chia seeds and where do you find them? Recipe sounds yummy. Keep them coming please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chia seeds are exactly what they sounds like. They are the seeds you put on those planter things to make plants grow. They are a really good source of Omega-3's, calcium, fiber & iron. They add a fun crunchy texture, but no real flavor. I like them a lot. I bought them at the drug store, and you can get them at any specialty grocery store. Thanks for checking it out.

      Delete