Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Future is so Bright

It's a beautiful day.  Not a cloud in the sky with the sun shining full force.  Usually this is a great thing, but last week my sunglasses broke.  Now I am squinting my way around town, and that has to change (I am too young for crow's feet).

These sunglasses lasted me a few years, but sadly, it's time for them to retire.
Most of the time I love shopping, but I find shopping for sunglasses to be as difficult as shopping for jeans.  So many factors are to be taken into account.  A person needs to think about trends, versatility, style and frame and face shape.  I can't help you on your personal style or what color frames would be best for you, but I will help you in regards to finding your face shape and give you some suggestions.
Face shape to me has always been a little bit of a mystery.  People say you can just look in the mirror or at a picture of yourself and see it.  I respectfully disagree.
Here is the simple way to tell what face shape you are.
Pull your hair back into a tight ponytail.  You want to see as little hair as possible leaving your hair line and the outline of your face.  Looking into a mirror, take an old lipstick or eye liner (something that can easily be washed off) and outline your face.

Here is mine thanks to a steady hand and Shiseido's perfect rouge lipstick.
 
Now that you have the outline on the mirror draw the following shapes inside the outline, heart, square, circle and oval (some people get really specific with the face shapes, I keep it simple with four).

When you find the shape that fills the face shape the best, you have found your face shape.

Here are some suggestions for all your sunglasses questions.

Heart; Wider forehead and cheekbones & narrow chin.  This face shape looks great with round frame or a cat eye lens.

These Michael Michael Kors round frames
are great for everyday use.

Forever 21 is a great option if you want to get a lot of options,
but don't want to break the bank.  These subtle cat eyes are great
for a vintage day

Square; Broader at the hairline and square jawline.  A more feminine frames, like round, butterfly or cat eye is best.

I adore these Calvin Klein on Asos. I think
they are perfect for any age.
They have just enough Jackie O.
 to make any woman feel timeless.
I really like Moschino on Asos. They are a little more
expensive, but they are supremely comfortable and durable.




Circle; Cheekbones are the fullest part of your face with a more narrow forehead and jawline.  A wider or rectangular frame is best to balance out the top of the face.

Guess GU frames are an excellent example
of a frame less frame.
Yellow Guess frames are a major statement piece.
Not the best for every day use,
but perfect for weekends.
Oval; Forehead, cheekbones and chin are all about the same width.  You can wear pretty much any shape, you lucky dog.  Since that is the case, I am fully endorsing the aviator and wayfarer.
The Ray-Ban wayfarer is the original. A little pricey,
but absolute classic, just ask Ferris Bueller.
Feminine Aviators are a fun way to add interest.
The bright accent of pink is on point
with the neon trend.
After finding my face shape and taking into account the amount of use these sunglasses would get, I still needed some inspiration.  My sister has long been one of my style gurus and she is a firm believer in going for tortoise shell frames because they go with just about everything. 
Alicia, by Coach

I took her advice and landed on these.  This pair of sunglasses is a tortoise shell butterfly frame with no embellishments on the sides.  Thanks to my birthday last year this pair was only $40 (hooray for gift cards).

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment