Thursday, April 5, 2012

Here Comes Peter "CottonSale"

We are just a few days away from one of my FAVORITE holidays of the year...EASTER!
This bunny-laden holiday didn't break into the top three by chance; it scored big in a number of categories ranging from bringing some of the people I love most in the world together, to the fact that I binge on so  many marshmallow chicks "Colonel" Sanders" himself would tell me to pump the brakes on the poultry punishment (thanks dad).


The real source of my love for this holiday is the clothing.  Every year since I was a child,  my wonderful (and fashionable) mother would put my sister and me in a brand new outfits for the big day.  We would stay in our Sunday finest until bedtime, when we would toss our brand new dresses on the floor attempting to come down from our chocolate egg- induced sugar high.

It started innocently enough with my mom being a fan of not only coordinating outfits, but pinafores and hats, a classic choice.

circa 1985
Through the watchful eye of my mother, my sister and I developed our own style, making Easter a surprise collection, orchestrated by a suggested color.  As you can see, it was a blue year (the lamb cake's plaid ribbon even had blue in it).

 2007


All this time walking down memory lane brought me to one conclusion...my mom LOVES to shop around Easter! Knowing she is a smart lady I figured there must be some method to her springtime madness, so I got to researching.

During my walk down memory lane, I came to the conclusion that everyone should be as wallet happy as my family right now.  Wearing new clothing on Easter gives you good luck for the year. According to FIDM & the online publication ezinearticles.com, everyone should be shelling out dough for new duds. This tradition is rooted in most cultures and religions, including Christianity, Chinese, Paganism, Middle Eastern... and the list goes on and on.  In a very loose and non literal interpretation, this is a "baptism" for your closet.  Don't think of it as spending your hard earned cash, instead think of yourself renewing your closet and bringing new energy and luck to your life, or at least your season.   

So there you have it, if you didn't get your fill of luck on St. Patrick's Day, here is your chance to recharge. Shop on my bunnies, shop on!

2 comments:

  1. Ok Laura, I am taking your advice and going shopping. I could use some fasion advice, what do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One word for you...TANGERINE! It's everywhere this season. It's fresh, fun and breathes life into any outfit. I like a lot of it (I have a great pair of pants) and I just convinced my mom to buy a cute pair of kitten heels.

      Delete