Wednesday, April 18, 2012

One More Project with my Dad (Part 1)

I decided to take on a project.
My dad had two old nightstands; they aren't anything special.  They are tired, old, spattered with paint and I love them.  He hated to throw things away so he used them for years.  At first during college, then in my parents first home, after the family's big move they became a staple in the garage for his tools.  Now they sit idle in the basement of our home and have become my obsession. 
This guy could make anything work, let's see if it's genetic.
Circa: 1994
My father passed away a few months ago and for some reason these dirty old nightstands are tethered to my memory of him.  My dad picked them out years ago and this leads me to believe a part of his spirit, his personality, his beautiful aura is attached to them.  I decided he and I would have one more project together.  One he started decades before I was born and has left me to finish.

So here is the story of how his treasure and my tears will make the most amazing pieces of furniture I will ever own.

I knew what I wanted to do with the nightstands; it was more of a matter of how to do it. 
These are the object of my obsession and inspiration.

I started by going to the hardware store to obtain the necessary products, but the one thing I really needed wasn't on the shelves for purchase...know-how.  As I stared blankly at rows upon rows of stains, finishes and other home improvement wares, I wondered what I would actually need?  I started to get a little overwhelmed when I stepped back and asked myself, "what would my dad do?"  and I knew the answer immediately.  He'd ask the old man with stain marks on his hands standing next to me, and so I met Jerry. 

Jerry looked like a guy who went to hardware stores a lot over the years.  He was wearing, what I presumed was an old softball jersey, glasses from the 80's and white socks pulled up to his mid calf; he was going to be my Yoda.  Jerry, my new furniture buddy, gave me some of the advice he had collected over decades of refurbishing furniture (I'll give you some tips later).  As we walked around the store, he showed me options of what I needed, what I didn't and why.  By the time we wrapped up Jerry reassured me I would do a great job and turned to resume his shopping.  As he turned I noticed the number on his jersey, it was 52.  That was my dad's number.*  At that point I knew I was ready to get moving.

I got home and assembled my new wares.  I had everything I needed to get this done.  The steps given to me sounded simple enough.  The thing Jerry forgot to tell me was how much elbow grease to pick up.  He made it sound so easy.

More of my adventures with the (hopefully complete) nightstands later this week, as I explain how I took these items and turned them into amazing pieces of furniture.














*I miss my father terribly and I'll admit that I look for signs from him on a daily basis, sometimes stretching nothings into somethings.  I FIRMLY believe he had something to do with Jerry, maybe he just didn't want me to mess up his stuff. :)

6 comments:

  1. Love this :) Good luck with them! Looking forward to the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Laura. Rooting for you from Ohio. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Love you :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. A father's love for his daughter never dies. He sent #52 to you. Enjoy every painstaking, tedious minute refinishing those gorgeous nightstands. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure Laura. Enjoy the work, good luck with the elbow grease and make your Dad proud. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was such a great story - I LOVE that Jerry was wearing your dad's number. I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad died in 2001, I still miss him terribly at the oddest time~. Most often when sitting at this desk. He taught me to refinsh furniture, I'm sitting at the desk we refinshed together, our second piece. The first piece we did is sitting on my front porch, a rocking chair. The smell of a work shop makes me feel all warm and melancholy with memories! I can relate Laura...I remember most your dad's sense of humor...watch out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete