Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Topping it off (for about $15)

Since the move I've been trying to make the place feel a little more like me, starting with my room.  After painting the walls and bringing life back to the nightstands I felt like I was in the home stretch.  I am obviously using most of my own furniture, but I still needed a headboard.  I wanted something that would take up a large section of the wall, all the while allowing the vibrant blue to peek out. The size of the piece was also key.  It's a big wall and I didn't want to fuss with lots of extra art.   Keeping with the natural pallet was important to keep the room flowing well.  After looking for a few weeks I couldn't find the headboard of my dreams, so i made one... 
I really like the way the lace pops against the bright blue!
This is what I came up with, and here's how I did it for about $15!


before
after

I took an old screen, deconstructed the frame and took off the black paint off exposing the natural wood (note, this wood wasn't too pretty right after, don't be intimidated).   I did a few coats of stain and finished it off with a poly finish. I did the same process with six slats of wood, which I put into the frame to break up the inside pattern.





I was using a lot of spray paint so
I took this part outside.




I took the same lace which I sprayed the top of the dressers with and sprayed it a similar color to the wood (the actual color has a little more metallic to mimic some of the gloss from the poly on the wood).  I used a spray adhesive to adhere the lace to the back side of the frames pulling it tight as I was setting it, then cutting the excess lace to fit.

Use felt pad sticker to protect the wall.  I put
one on each corner and a few in the middle
for good measure.




I reassembled two of the frames to give a better size.  Knocking off the extra frame made it lighter and an easy size to fit on the wall above the bed.  I placed a few felt pads on the back to protect the wall.  Centering it on the wall  I hung it on my wall with a few strategically placed nails.



An easy day project with a real "WOW" impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment